Frederick K. Cox International Law Center
Center for Business Law and Regulation
1:00-1:15 p.m. Welcome and Introduction
Professor Robert Strassfeld, Director, Institute for Global Security Law and Policy, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
Professor Richard Gordon, Associate Director, Institute for Global Security Law and Policy, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
1:15-1:45 p.m. Lecture
“Preventing Terrorism Financing: Are we Winning?”
Speaker: Richard Barrett, Coordinator, United Nations Security Council Taliban Al Qaida Monitoring Team and Director, U.N. Counter-terrorism Implementation
The opening lecture will discuss whether the current anti-terrorism financing preventive measures have been effective.
1:45-3:15 p.m. Panel One
“Are the Regulators Doing Too Little or Too Much?”
Moderator: Professor Richard Gordon, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
This panel will present the views of regulators and of those who set and implement the international standards. They will suggest possible improvements to the current law and standards.
- Rick McDonell, Executive Secretary, Financial Action Task Force (FATF)
- Boudewijn Verhelst, Chairman, Egmont Group of Financial Intelligence Units
- Yves Aeschlimann, Senior Financial Sector Specialist, Financial Market Integrity, The World Bank
- Nadim Kyriakos-Saad, Deputy and Senior Counsel, Financial Integrity Group, International Monetary Fund
- Jeffery Breinholt, United States Department of Justice
3:15-3:30 p.m. Break
3:30-5:00 p.m. Panel Two
“Are The Regulated Doing Too Little or Too Much?”
Moderator: Ross Delston, CAMS, Attorney and Consultant, Washington, D.C.
This panel will present the views of regulated financial institutions. Panel speakers will address the issue of identifying transactions that raise a suspicion of terrorism financing from the perspective of those who are legally required to identify and report possible terrorists.
- Rick Small, Vice President Enterprise Anti-Money Laundering and Sanctions Risk Management, American Express
- Frank Meister, Senior Vice President, Anti-Money Laundering/Bank Secrecy Act Officer, FirstMerit Bank
- Phillip A. De Luca, Senior Vice President, Compliance Managing Director, JPMorgan Chase
- Lisa Belle, Director of Compliance, Barclays Wealth Bank
5:00-5:30 p.m. Lecture
“The Future of Terrorism Financing Rules”
Rick McDonell, Executive Secretary, Financial Action Task Force (FATF)
The closing lecture will discuss whether changes in the current anti-terrorism financing preventive measures could improve their efficiency and effectiveness.